03 February 2010

No Smell of Smoke

I am meeting with friends each Tuesday to study Beth Moore's study called Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy. Tonight was so excellent... here's a recap.


"Fiery trails can burn the fake out of us."

While we live in a world similar to Babylon, we should remain separate from it like Daniel did when he was in captivity. Tonight we talked about the fiery furnace. (Remember, the three Hebrews who would not bow down to the 90-ft golden image that the king of Babylon raised, so the king threw them in the furnace.) Beth said the people of God find themselves in one of three scenarios when faced with a fiery trial.

1. "We can be delivered from the fire and our faith is built." (the tumor disappears or is benign)

2. "We can be delivered through the fire and our faith is refined." (the chemo works and we are healed)

3. "We can be delivered by the fire into his arms and our faith is perfected." (we die)

The story of the fiery furnace ends with Daniel 3:27 the fire had no effect on the bodies of these men nor was the hair of their head singed, nor were their trousers damaged, nor had the smell of fire even come upon them.

Beth explains how this is paralleled in our lives today... by not coming out of a fiery trial smelling of it... by not bowing down to the god of anger, bitterness, unbelief borne of our trial. She says we must make our "circumstances become a servant of the Gospel." We must make our circumstances bow down to the Most High God. Her phrasing was along the lines of knowing someone for a while, but then when you heard about their trial, you look at them in awe/shock and say, 'I would never have known! You don't even smell like smoke!' (ie, you're not bitter, you're not angry...)

WOW. I realized that maybe my calm peace during this uncertain time of unemployment is probably evidence of refining I underwent! I don't smell like panic!

Beth made sure to point out that the four figures were walking in the fire. In Isaiah that I quoted earlier this week, Isaiah 43:1-11, we also "walk through the fire." She said we are not to lay down in the fire, but not to run in circles either!

How's this little ditty:

When in fear, when in doubt,
run in circles, scream and shout!

I'm honored that you would read New Mercy and
I would love to hear from you through comments!
Teresa (Tracy) Dear


1 comments:

wayne's blog said...

Remember this song?
Refiner's fire,
My heart's one desire,
Is to be holy,
Set apart for you Lord,
Ready to do your will!

Purify my heart,
Let me be as gold
and precious silver,
Purify my heart,
Let me be as pure gold.

Amen!