04 January 2010

Comparison Two

Here is part two of four stories- now/then comparisons.

When we were first married, we were in the Air Force. We were both Russian Linguists in training in beautiful Monterey, California. Before we went off to our home beside the sea, as we thought, I bought some sleeveless shirts with my mother- because it would be hot in California. Well, Monterey is like the Bermuda Triangle of California, it's 60 degrees year-round. James loved it, and I was always hiding a sweater under my BDU's (uniform).

This story came to mind recently when I was trying to get James up and out of bed. I remember one holiday when we had to catch a flight from California to Austin. I think our flight left at 7 or so, and in the days before 9/11, we didn't have to pad our time a lot. Anyway, James was up, and dressed, and loading the car, and hurrying me along as I grumbled and complained- well before 5 a.m. I remember thinking, as we had only been married a few months, if I had ended up marrying one of those unnecessarily prepared men who hurried me to every appointment an hour early- just in case. Now I find myself drinking my coffee alone and going in to wake him every half-hour or so.

This early time in our marriage was melding us into 'one flesh' which was so crucial when times got tough years later. For over 2 years while we were in the AF we were practically twins. We used to get up for class together at the last possible second. James would jump in the shower and I would slam turkey sandwiches together- we'd grab our books and race to language school in our $250, falling-apart Toyota Corolla, wolfing down those sandwiches as the cold, royal blue water crashed on the rocky shore outside our window. We'd be in different classes, but at each break we'd meet in the hall and after class we would rush home to get to PT (exercise) in time. When we got home again, finally off duty, we would nap together so our poor brains could get a break before we would have to tackle our homework, dinner, and housework.

I need to remember that this time together, when we aligned perfectly in our goals and schedules was reinforcing why we got married, what we saw in each other, how we envisioned our future... It let us know later that we had veered from our path. If we hadn't been so aligned we might have been more easily broken later. Am I making any sense?

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.



Click if you would like to read Comparison One.


I'm honored that you would read New Mercy and
I would love to hear from you through comments!
Teresa (Tracy) Dear

0 comments: