29 January 2010

Choose Life!

Here's the notes of how I spent my evening- with my latest copy of World magazine. I love it, it gives me a Christian take on today's news- but this pro-life issue was a tiring if riveting read.


-Three pages discuss how saving the habitat of a 2-inch fish (Delta smelt) are ravaging our food supply (CA farms aren't allowed any water) are followed by 16 pages about the abortion debate in our nation. WHAT? A tiny fish is found to be more valuable than the 50 million babies killed in the "silent holocaust" that is abortion?!

-Oh, oh, how my heart breaks... in an article about RU486, "The feelings of guilt can be more intense for women who have undergone chemical abortions, since they themselves administered the pill while they were fully conscious." For (someone) who went and lay on a table, somebody else did it. Yes, I made the decision but I was always able to rationalize that I didn't kill my own baby- somebody else did..." After women expell their unborn babies, they have to dispose of them. Massey said she once got a desperate call from a woman who said, "My baby's floating in the toilet. What do I do now? Do I flush it?"

-an excellent review by Susan Olasky, of a book called At the Center: "Rosen, sympathetic to her characters, sees through their mixed motivations and is unblinking in her depiction of what goes on in an abortion clinic. Her characters may think they are doing noble work, but the story tells a more tormented tale. Don't look for any sympathetic pro-life characters: They are nothing more than slogan-spouting voices on the story's periphery. But if you want to experience fictionally the grimness of abortion even for its advocates, this is worth slogging through."

-I'd like to end with an excerpt from Ronald Reagan's final State of the Union address, delivered January 25, 1988.

"Well, now we come to a family issue that we must have the courage to confront. Tonight, I call America--a good nation, a moral people--to charitable but realistic consideration of the terrible cost of abortion on demand. To those who say this violates a woman's right to control of her own body: Can they deny that now medical evidence confirms the unborn child is a living human being entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Let us unite as a nation and protect the unborn with legislation that would stop all Federal funding for abortion and with a human life amendment making, of course, an exception where the unborn child threatens the life of the mother. Our Judeo-Christian tradition recognizes the right of taking a life in self-defense. But with that one exception, let us look to those others in our land who cry out for children to adopt. I pledge to you tonight I will work to remove barriers to adoption and extend full sharing in family life to millions of Americans so that children who need homes can be welcomed to families who want them and love them."

I'm honored that you would read New Mercy and
I would love to hear from you through comments!
Teresa (Tracy) Dear


0 comments: