28 December 2009

Psalm 51

Hey dudes, break's over and I'm baa-aack! Here, pull up another window and listen to this song while you read the lyrics. Jars of Clay wrote it, inspired by Psalm 51. It's on their Redemption Songs CD.



God be merciful to me
on Thy grace, I rest my plea
Plenteous in compassion Thou
Blot out my transgressions now

Wash me, make me pure within
Cleanse, oh, cleanse me from my sin

My transgressions I confess
Grief and guilt my soul oppress
I have sinned against Thy grace
And provoked Thee to Thy face

I confess Thy judgment just
Speechless, I, Thy mercy trust

I am evil, born in sin
Thou desirest truth within
Thou alone my Savior art
Teach Thy wisdom to my heart

Make me pure, Thy grace bestow
Wash me whiter than the snow

Gracious God, my heart renew
Make my spirit right and true
Thy salvation's joy impart
Steadfast make my willing heart
Steadfast make my willing heart!

Broken, humbled to the dust
By Thy wrath and judgment just
Let my contrite heart rejoice
And in gladness hear Thy voice

From my sins, oh, hide Thy face
Blot them out in boundless grace.
(ooh don't you love that banjo! I used to take lessons.)


Here's how Psalm 51 looks in the Bible:

A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.

5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. 7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. 14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 18 In your good pleasure make Zion prosper; build up the walls of Jerusalem. 19 Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings to delight you; then bulls will be offered on your altar.


I don't necessarily want to apologize for writing so many "just lyrics" or "just scripture" posts lately, but, if you haven't noticed, I'm pretty stressed and distracted. This song/ scripture is SO GOOD at speaking for me because I am so aware of my sin. yuck. Jesus died on the cross for me today. Ok, this weekend. *sigh*

Romans 8:22-27 says

"We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."

How blessed we are to have the very spirit of God living in us! I mean, read it again! "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will." The spirit lives within us and knows our thoughts and our hearts. We try to reach out to God but in our humanness can't express ourselves, but God knows what we mean, what we need, because he is within us. And his spirit can "translate" for us... God the Spirit can INTERCEDE for us to himself, God the Father! It blows my mind.



I really understand this passage and I know some of you do too. Up late? Crying in the bathroom? Holding it together in front of the kids? Shocked at the spew coming from your own mouth when you told yourself you weren't going to do it again? I know. He knows. When we can't even put words to our sufferings, he knows. He knows!



Thanks be to God, he forgives me for the sins I committed against him this weekend. I have a new slate to scribble on tomorrow.

I'm honored that you would read New Mercy and
I would love to hear from you through comments!
Teresa (Tracy) Dear



2 comments:

Angie said...

My heartaches for you in these tough times. May you find peace within knowing that you are exactly where God planned for you to be.
Isaiah 26:3 "You Lord give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you."
I too am so thankful for the Holy Spirit! Some times I just pray for her to intercede because I'm so confused or tired that I just don't know what to pray for.
I'm glad you didn't apologize for posting scripture and lyrics, they too inspire others and honor the Lord. I do look forward to some more originals though:) Hang in there. Put on the armor of the Lord (Ephesians6:10-18) and send the devil running!

mama4x said...

I am gasping with joy that you read here and look forward to it. THANKS!!