25 November 2009

Foolishness

"Today, I watched a freshman fall down the stairs, and then land with an air guitar and a knee slide, and walk away like nothing happened. That kid is going places. MLIA."

Man, I want to be like that. Aren't there benefits of acting like nothing happened? Don't you seem composed and on top of it? Think of the sayings:

Like water off a duck's back, roll with the punches, take it in stride...

Where are the ones commending the people who DON'T do so well? I guess there's the 'heart on her sleeve' one.

I have been struggling with an person who shall remain nameless lately. It's someone who knew me before I became a believer. It seems that this person thinks I was doing better before I came to know the Gospel. I seemed more confident, sure, capable, determined, goal-oriented, and man, I had plans! I was going places! I guess now I seem to be content with too little, door-mat like, unsure, and... and... not unmotivated, but I seem to be a cork on the water of my marriage. I am too undemanding, perhaps.

This does not adhere to the scientific method, of course.

Then:
- unmarried
- young and ignorant
- tried to be a "good person"
- life ahead of me
- boyfriend has me on a pedestal
- brought up in feminist and worldly outlook

Now:
- married 11+ years, 4 kids
- older, more experienced, lived some
- realize that "but for the grace of God, there go I"
- been there and back in my marriage
- husband has his own struggles
- cultivated a Biblical worldview

1 Corinthians 1:18, 21-25

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I have been said to wear my heart on my sleve...and it's true. I am horrible at hiding my true feelings. I can play poker and bluff till the pot is mine, but when it comes to matters of the heart a stranger could notice my pain from a mile away. I have found tremendous relief from this by praying to the Lord for peace. No matter wether at the moment my circumstances are deteriorating or improving I've noticed the more faith I have the more peace I have! Check out Romans 10:17

If u have time follow this link: http://www.fundamentallyreformed.com/2006/12/10/jesus-demands-take-up-your-cross-and-follow-me-8/
I think our lives naturally become harder when we choose to take up the cross and follow Him, because what matters most to God is our relationship with Him, not worldly happiness. So if a struggle on earth strengthens our relationship with him and enables us to fulfil his purposes for us it is worth it. Not because he wants us to suffer, but because struggle causes us to stretch beyond our comfort zone and to grow as spiritual beings. I think the most amazing part is if we constantly seek to be in the center of God's will no matter what is going on around us we will be at peace. I must say and appopriately so considering tomorrow. I am so thankful for the Lord's grace!

mama4x said...

I am so pleased to hear from you, and what intelligent things you have to say! Thanks for taking a moment to respond. It's hard to be at peace when we concern ourselves with what others think- we need only concern ourselves with what HE thinks. I always put it like this: He's more interested in my becoming HOLY, not being happy.