20 November 2009

Distracted

Well, I was looking over my posts here at New Mercy since the week before Halloween. Eh.

I was cleaning out under the coffee table- all the magazines- and I was going through my Christianity Today's and Christian Counseling Today's and they were all marked up for the first half and then none of the articles even looked familiar, and were unmarked and unfolded... I hadn't finished them. My parents were out of town for three weeks and so I missed my "Writing Tuesdays." (my mom usually takes the kids so I can write) Then this week all my bathroom and dining room walls were getting retextured, and new light fixtures installed... the house was nuts, totally taken apart (white walls! NO!). Then my husband was fired on the 6th of November...

Anyway I wanted to say sorry for being so distracted and bringing poor content lately. I'll try to do better and get back on focus soon. As the holidays approach. *sigh*

1 comments:

Renee said...

I don't know, but a couple of things come to mind.

One, in Daniel the three men were being asked to worship another God. That, to me, is one line in the sand that people can draw...but it is far from paying taxes that are complicit in murder. (Not that I'm condoning the latter...it's just a different line).

Two, the Magi's were given an earthly command that was superceeded by a heavenly command -- the angel.

As for the midwives and Rahab, my initial reaction is that as non-Israelites they were trying to serve God in the best ignorant way they knew how. Not only are we to submit to government authority, we are aren't supposed to lie (or bear false witness..is that the same thing?). Perhaps they were blessed for their faith...not their actions? I'll have to think about that some more.

So, my question is, in Mark 12:17 it says, "Then Jesus said to them, 'Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's.'" At that point in time, what was the Roman government doing that would go against God's commands? They were definitely conquering new lands in brutal ways that included the murder of innocent men, women and children. They weren't persecuting Christians yet, but that was coming and I've no doubt that Jesus knew it was coming. So, what application does that have?