28 October 2009

What God Wants

When I get frustrated with waiting on God, with waiting on my husband, with waiting in general (see an awesome poem about women waiting), I readily forget one concept that is the answer to probably the majority of the "wait" or "no" responses that we get from God:

RELATIONSHIP. God is a God of relationships. Beth Moore says in her *excellent* book, Praying God's Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds these sobering thoughts:

"...the ultimate goal God has for us is not power but personal intimacy with Him. Yes, God wants to bring us healing, but more than anything, He wants us to know our Healer. Yes, He wants to give us resurrection life, but more than that, He wants us to know the Resurrection and the Life.

We can and should pray for an individual's willingness to let God set him free. We can and should pray for the enemy to be withheld and for the individual's eyes to be opened to truth, but freedom rarely comes to a person who does not get intimately involved with God for himself. You see, God is far more interested in our getting to know the Deliverer than our being delivered. Remember, freedom comes through taking thoughts captive to Christ. We cannot take another person's thoughts captive."

Are you as stunned and as speechless as I?! How many times have I read these words?! They are all marked up in my book! Yet for some reason I have not heard them with this clarity until this week.

I keep praying for things to change for mainly these reasons:

- things would be better; marriage, kids, life.
- it's the right way to live- less stressful and more stable
- it's a better example to those who don't yet believe
- I want the kids and I to be led spiritually
- I want to feel loved and cherished
- I want the kids to grow up seeing beauty, not a 'don't' version of marriage
- I'm tired and I want people to stop looking at me like that.

I should be praying totally differently. (I, I, I, I!) What does Beth say we can pray when praying for others?

-individual's willingness to let God set him free
-for the enemy to be withheld
-for the individual's eyes to be opened to truth


That's it! I go on and on about what I can and can't control... yet here... I'm not looking at my husband like God sees him. God surely sees the late hours and the neglect; but He really wants James to know him and trust him and believe him so that new behaviors can follow out of a heart for obedience. I want all that too, but my prayers don't reflect that.

0 comments: