21 October 2009

Joyful Things!

First of all, I wanted to lay off of the spiritual things for a day and mention a few of my temporal joys. Here is a pair of Frye's boots, that I desperately want to own. I think I covet them. However, I went to try them on once, and they are all individual. You can't just order a pair online and it'll be good. You have to keep going in to a local Frye's seller and keep trying them on until you get a pair that fit your feet well. So, no idea when I'll be in a season of life when I can do that. Not to mention that in person they are $225. So yeah. On to the real joys...

When I went to Switzerland in high school I was fully prepared to abandon everything in my bag and take home the pillows and bedding instead. The joy of a feather mattress topper, a down quilt, and feather pillows! Add to that a nice set of sheets- a baby or small dog... aah. I need to go to bed.

Now by no means forget coffee, but for real depth and variety, a cup of tea is just a wonderful experience. Wait for the water to boil... choose what flavor... listen to the water pour... wait for the steep... sugar? lemon? cream? The possibilities are endless. What a blessing.

I find myself constantly daydreaming about the perfect laundry room. It doesn't even include a front-loading washer. I have an excellent set of lockers (the 12 inch by 12 inch kind) in a 6 row by 6 row set-up, that I would wash down and spray paint and put in the laundry room. I really want a utility sink, and a counter to fold clothes on. I don't need a clothes pole; I would like an open shelf for the soap over the washer. I also want to spray paint my washer and dryer some bright color with metal paint. They're just the basic energy-sucking kind. Ideally, I'd like to fill the washer from a rainwater collection reservoir, and have a clothesline right outside the laundry room door. But most of all I don't want it to be a tiny square room with 3 doors in it.

One thing that is pretty easy and brings me a lot of joy is PAINT. I feel cold and boring in an all-white house and paint is so quick to bring character and emotion and setting to a room. We used to have a deep blue dining room and a brick red living room, then we changed the dining room to a lion-yellow and kept the red in the living room. Right now my living space is based off of my favorite coffee cup. One wall in the living room is kelly green and the area rug is orange. The dining room has one orange wall and 2 yellow walls, and the carpet and curtains are kelly green. It's an energetic and cheerful space.

I cannot get enough bookshelves. I have them in every room, even if it's just the end table. Aren't bookshelves over doors just the best? My dream house has a 10 foot wide hallway with doors coming off, and little nooks for comfy chairs with a focused light for reading, and every wall, in between doors- every one- would be bookshelves. It would be my library. I am pretty organized with my books. They aren't Dewey decimal or anything, but they are definitely categorized.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

as I drink my cup of warm tea (and fold the laundry on our guest room bed) I'm nodding my head in agreement!

But the pillows from Switzerland?? Oh that seems like it's almost too much to wish for!! Ooo La La!

Thanks for sharing these pictures, your light-hearted wit and the joys of your day!

mama4x said...

I love y'all's love!

MoziEsmé said...

I'm getting sleepy just thinking about the bedding!

And those bookshelves? I'm drooling! It's always been a dream of mine to have a room completely encased with built-in bookshelves...

mama4x said...

I want enough shelves to have books and souvenirs and knick-knacks all blended together, and James wants a shelf with lighting to display his rock collection.

mom2giqm said...

Oh, I have so wanted to do the floor to ceiling bookshelves. I have books everywhere!

The perfect laundry room would be whatever the maid would need to do the laundry. Hee hee.

mama4x said...

Ha, ha... a few years ago I got a maid for a day for myself for my birthday.