07 September 2009

God's Greatness


God doesn't ask me how I want Him to do things. Does that happen to you too? Yeah, He does everything His own way. I want Him to spell everything out for me, tell me the who, what, WHY and where. But, no, He wants me to just have enough light for the place I'm in, and not what's down the path from me. He never even gives me one of those curvy, wall-mounted mirrors so I can see what's hurtling around the bend at me.

So when times like that come, I really lean on the fact of God's greatness. His POWER. His all-knowingness.

Romans 11:33-36 expresses these feelings beautifully: "Oh, the depths of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Who has been his counselor? Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?! For from him and through him and to him are all things." Even if we are totally stumped at how God will redeem our situation, if we are crushed at what he allowed to happen in our lives, there is comfort in knowing that he IS more powerful than the storms which toss us about.

Psalm 104:1-4 reminds me of his might, of his strength... if he can hold the atoms in a droplet of water together, if he can hold Jupiter in its course, if he can know when a scary deep-sea albino blind fish dies, than probably he can take care of me. "O Lord my God, you are very great, you are clothed with splendor and majesty. You wrap yourself in light as a garment; you stretch out the heavens like a tent and lay the beams of you upper chambers on their waters. You make the clouds you chariot and ride on the wings of the wind. You make winds your messengers, flames of fire your servants."

Nehemiah 9:6 reiterates God's greatness through the heavens which so clearly declare his handiwork: "You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You gave life to every thing, and the multitudes of heaven worship you."

My situation-- be it my marriage, my child-rearing challenge, my health-- they seem impossible when I contemplate my abilities, but "Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. NOTHING IS TOO HARD FOR YOU!" (Jeremiah 32:17)

Thank God that's true... a la Beth Moore... Can I get an amen?!

0 comments: