19 August 2009

When My Heart Hurts...

When my heart just aches for some cause or some terrible, horrific thing, I feel drawn to pray... what else can one person do? Today, this thought was brought on by two sentences in an article called "The Abortion Evangelist." Here are the two sentences:

"The clinic attracts a regular group of four or five protesters, who carry posters of fetuses and newborns, but they generally take the weekend off." and

"Patients mostly make nervous small talk during their abortions. One cries. Another tells [the doctor] that she saw him on TV. "I think it's so great what you're doing," she says as he performs her abortion."

There was a deeply moving and tiringly sad article linked to the above article, called "Competing Emotions" in which the author says "... there was a discomfort I hadn't expected, my emotional reaction to watching abortions" and described the comment of a woman in the waiting room who "started crying when we talked about abortion. "I think it's OK," she told me, "but it's hard to see everyone doing it, there's so many. I'm not mad at them at all. It's just like, wow, there are so many people. There are seven or eight babies out there [in the waiting room]."

I feel sad and frustrated when I read about people who don't truly weigh the viewpoint of the side they aren't on, the side they 'are at war with.' The author of "Competing Emotions" Sarah Kliff, ends her article with a thoughtful "...my experience (among an admittedly small, largely pro-choice sample set) found a general discomfort when confronted with abortion as a physical reality, not a political idea. Americans may support abortion rights, but even 40 years after Roe, we don't talk about it like other medical procedures."

To me this is similar to my dad not wanting to learn about the most recent advances in geology and related sciences which refute the 4 1/2 billion-year-old earth theory; like the atheist who won't really research the points of Christianity; the teacher who doesn't admit the possible benefits of homeschooling. Like here, in the arena of abortion and life- they just take it on principle and don't see the pain behind the "procedure."

If you are here reading New Mercy, as women who struggle in our marriages, we try to sacrifice what we may prefer so that we can do what God wants. It can be extremely hard to read about the pain of people who didn't step out to accept their part in the broken world. Does that make any sense? We make bad choices. Bad situations are forced on us. We have to deal with the repercussions of sin, our own and others.' To just cut the situation off, to get an abortion or divorce, completely sidesteps the growth we could have had. We're going to have pain and suffering either way. I would prefer the pain and suffering that would glorify God as best I could, in place of any other struggle in which I could grieve the Holy Spirit.

I was searching a website about PASS (Post-Abortive Stress Syndrome) and SO. MANY. women were so regretful and hurting... they said again and again, how they were scared and stupid and pressured. I know that isn't always the case. I know this is a touchy subject. I pray that more women who have had abortions and have felt God's presence through their grief and recovery can reach out to others and help them along that painful road. Oh! It's so hard to think of all the ways our world is broken. But take heart- we know how the story will end for all those who believe...

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."" Revelation 21 :3-5


beautiful pregnant belly picture from http://www.birthingbeautifully.com


0 comments: