10 August 2009

How's Your Heart?

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Cor. 9:7

Got grumpy with the Mr. on Saturday. Hen-pecked him for a little while and then heard that tone in my voice, and felt the growing irritation in my heart, and went out and shut the door (too firmly, I admit) behind myself. I went into the kitchen and gave it a well-deserved scouring (including the sink, the fridge, the floor, the dishes and the counters). Then I cleaned the table and swept the floors and moved the clothes into the dryer. All the while I am determining to myself that I will have a forgiving attitude and a cheerful heart and a welcoming, loving demeanor. I will leave him to do what he wants with his Saturday and I will clean the house cause it needs it, not so I can bang pots and pans to "show him" how angry I am. I will not yell at my kids because I am mad at myself for failing again at this marriage thing. I will give him his day to spend as he sees fit, and I will clean my home, cheerfully.

It's crummy but better than it used to be, when I would verbally chase him out of the house, my sinful tongue spewing like a flaming dragon behind him. Hurrah for improvements, however small.

A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit. Prov. 15:13

A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones. Prov. 15:30

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Prov. 17:20

And the best of all: Proverbs 21:9 Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife. *sigh* Why doesn't it mention grumpy men?

1 comments:

wayne's blog said...

Keep remembering who you are in Christ, Tracy. You are a child of the Most High God. .."As you come to him, the living Stone, rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him, you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to Christ.....But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called YOU out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Dear Tracy, I urge you, as an alien and stranger in this world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and GLORIFY God on the day he visits us. As always praying for. Keep loving the Mister! (love it!), keep loving our Lord, keep putting one foot in front of the other. But for the grace of God go I. So thankful He chose us out of millions lost. Keep using all those great Scriptures to talk to yourself instead of listen to yourself. Love to you all.