13 July 2009

The Names of God

Is it my fascination with languages that makes me love the many names of God? Like an Eskimo who has so many words at his disposal to describe the many kinds of snow, I like to have names for the Lord which reflect one of his attributes at a time. Here are a few of my favorites:

-Jehovah Jireh – The Lord will Provide (Gen. 22:1)

-Jehovah Kabodhi – The Lord My Glory (Psalm 3:3)

-Jehovah Mephalti – The Lord My Deliverer (Psalm 18:2)

-Jehovah Shammah – The Lord is There (Ezekiel 48:35)

-Jehovah Tsori – The Lord My Strength (Psalm 19:14)

-Jehovah Yasha – The Lord Your Savior (Isaiah 49:26; 60:16)

How do y'all feel about Christians relating to their (spiritual) Jewish roots, and celebrating the festivals and such? I bought a small booklet, The Seven Feasts of Israel, that explains them more to the average ignorant Christian like myself.

0 comments: