10 June 2009

In Christ Alone


2 Corinthians 4:16-17

"Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight and momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison."

John Piper teaches that 'momentary' means our short lifetimes in comparison to eternity. Heard the one about how this 80 or 90 years that we may get here on Earth is just the title page of our life? That eternity is the real story? Sometimes I think my life is so hard, how can I bear to do this for another 50 years. But what is it really? Psalm 39:5 says "the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath." James 4:14 says "What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

Piper teaches that the word 'slight' refers to the suffering we may experience compared to the weight of joy in the presence of God. The weight of our suffering is light compared to the weight, the amount of joy we will feel in heaven with our God and Father.

So we really need to make sure that we've got the real deal set up. If you rip out the title page of a book, it's ok; the book can still be enjoyed. But if you have two covers and a title page-- and no story-- what is it? It's just going to be thrown away. So don't throw your life away, be sure that you've got eternity settled. And its not "I'm not a bad person, I never killed anybody" (my words, circa 1996) or being the lady they call when something needs done at church.

"Through Christ alone, I place my trust, and find my glory in the power of the cross!"
-Brian Littrell

0 comments: