08 May 2009

Not For This World

"Close to open" my husband called it, when he explained to me how the restaurant business works- Don't close the doors at night until the place is ready to open tomorrow. I just climbed back up on the Flylady wagon and I felt a tad discouraged when I went to bed last night- but only just a tad 'cause I was so tired. But then Nathan woke me up at 1:45 and I felt awake, so I put on my iPod (me?) and did the dishes. It makes such a difference in the morning, for the rest of the day. Using the iPod makes it a time of worship, too. Does anyone know the name of that monk from long, long, ago, who wrote the book about turning everyday drudgery into worship? By doing it for Christ? I'd love to read it but I don't know his name.

One of the songs was talking about not being made for this world. Another was about how we used our time. Another was saying 'live as if there's no tomorrow.' Another was asking how we did on Judgement Day- were we running from our mistakes, or rejoicing? And I was there, doing the dishes in prep for tomorrow. I thought of Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." I know that doing the dishes is not necessarily 'conforming to the world' but it made me think- if there was no tomorrow, I sure would live in the Lego-and-Polly-induced squalor and just read with the kids piled on top of me... I would stop yelling for everyone to get in bed so I could think straight or get a rest... I wouldn't worry if the car was going to make it or if we could get all the bills paid on time.
"And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." (2 Corinthians 5:15) We have to just spend our energy doing the best we can for him who died for us. We have to do the dishes as if for him, send the kids to bed in his name (ha!), do all things -spend ourselves- for him who died for me. The song on my iPod that started all these musings was by Toby Mac, "I'm For You" on his Portable Sounds album.

Whatever I gotta be, I'll be for you
Whatever you need from me to see you through...
I'm for you- If you never knew, I'm for you.

Paul said "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." (1 Corinthians 9:22-23) This reminds me so much of my dear, unsaved friend. When I am with her, I try to not have a split personality- I try to be true to the gospel- I try to be the person I am with my saved friends- but I also am conscious of our differences, and I try to be true also to what Paul has said. I SO CLEARLY remember being in her shoes-- feeling lost and desperate at times- I hear her worrying about what it all means, how she can make things last- and I think, 'but for the grace of God, there go I.' There go I!! That is me- that could be me-- but for the grace of our loving God.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Practice of the Presence of God" is the book about letters and conversations he had with the Abbott of Beaufort and his name was Brother Lawrence. Here's an excerpt...."It took him a little while to figure it out, however. For the first four years, Brother Lawrence did not like his work; in fact, he a great aversion to it. He also anguished over the conditions of his soul; convinced that if there were any justice in the world, God should damn him. Despite his best efforts, he was miserable. Finally he had a breakthrough. To put it simply, he evaluated his condition to find out where he had gone wrong. Eventually he understood that he was spending too much time and energy worrying about himself. He decided to get back to basics and focus his life on loving God. Years later, he put it this way; "I engaged in a religious life only for the love of God, and I have endeavored to act only for Him; whatever becomes of me, whether I be lost or saved, I will always continue to act purely for the love of God. I shall have this good at least, that till death I shall have done all that is in me to love Him."