22 May 2009

Early to Rise

This terrible, sarcastic cartoon is how I used to feel, and what I'm struggling now to overcome as my first reaction to getting up early to listen for the Lord and to pray for my family and the lost. And the President and the Supreme Court and the single mothers and the foster children. Ok, I'll stop.

This is what the Bible has to say:First off is the example of our Savior: "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35

My next favorite is Isaiah 50:4, "The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught." 'Cause I feel weary, not just from getting up early, but from chasing these kids all day and homeschooling and trying to keep a comfortable home!

Isaiah 33:2 is also encouraging and gives me hope that if I step out in obedience early in the morning, God will strengthen my body and spirit throughout the day. "O Lord, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in times of distress."

Even in the Old Testament the followers of the one true God "were also to stand every morning to thank and praise the Lord, they were to do the same in the evening." 1 Chronicles 23:30

Psalm 143:8 says "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."

This reminds me of something Beth Moore said. She said something along the lines of 'All day we go around holding out our little cup of needs. We are so needy! We say, can I have a cup of love? Can you give me a few drops? Can you? And we spend all of our time trying to get that cup full. And we can't do all the things we are called to do because we spend all of our energy trying to weasel a few drops of attention from everyone in our lives. But if we would go to the Lord who made us and knows each of our individual needs, and how to meet them best, if we would go to him first thing each morning, then any drop that any person might give us during the day would be overflow. It would just be icing on the cake!'

0 comments: