20 April 2009

This is sin- the easy road

As Christians we are called to follow a different
path than the world would have us take. We are not to take the route of least resistance, or the easiest, or the most beautiful, or the most comfortable. The Calvary Road was none of these. If we want to be like Christ, we have to imitate him. And part of that imitation must be to take the sometimes uncomfortable path that has been laid out for us. I told you that many Christian songs have spoken to me in the past few years. Since early in my pregnancy with Nathan, now 16 months old, pretty much one song has had exclusive rights to my tear ducts. That song is Bring the Rain by Mercy Me. Here are the lyrics:

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that
I've gone through…
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You?

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray...

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings
You glory! And I know there'll
be days When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to
praise You, Jesus, bring the rain.

I am yours regardless of the clouds that may
loom above because you are much greater than
my pain. You who made a way for me suffering
your destiny so tell me, whats a little rain?

So I pray…
Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings
You glory! And I know there'll
be days When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to
praise You Jesus, bring the rain…

Holy, holy, holy…
Holy, holy, holy…
is the Lord God almighty
is the Lord God almighty
I forever sing
Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God almighty
is the Lord God almighty
everybody singing
Holy holy holy…
is the Lord God almighty
is the Lord God almighty!
you are holy (holy, holy, holy)
you are holy(is the Lord God almighty)
Is the Lord our God, is the Lord our God
Everybody sing it!
Holy holy holy
You are holy
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty...
Is the Lord God almighty!
Holy, holy, holy...
Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God almighty...
Is the Lord God almighty!

I put all those 'Holy' s in there because they are what speaks to me now. God is so awesomely holy, so pristine, he can have none of our sin near him. He made a way for us through Christ, so that we could come to his side. But we always want the easy road. Sometimes to me divorce looks so easy! It appeals to me as an easy path compared to the one I am on. It is so much easier to just not interact with someone, it is easier to not forgive, to not try again. Of course in my sinful daydreams I am paid child support enough to cover my house and my car. Surely I could figure out the food and such! How easy it would be if I could only: not be ashamed of my husband's behavior (my pride); not have to clean up after his messes and tantrums (my laziness); not have to be a witness to him (my sin of omission); not deal with his immaturity (my fear); not have to trust him or respect him (my disobedience). Oh, what a life of ease and comfort I would lead, free of growth and free of discomfort.

God doesn't want us to be afraid of the hard road, because he will be right there beside us. The task seems impossible, but '"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.' (2 Corinthians 12:9) If we took only the easy path then we would enjoy the scenery here on earth, but we would not learn to "rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead." (2 Corinthians 1:9) Even before the Earth was created, God was acting in relationship with the Holy Spirit and Jesus pre-incarnate. He spent the time that the earth was sinless in relationship with Adam and Eve. He invites us into a personal and real relationship with Jesus. He is a god of relationships. For me to want to flee my marriage for a different life is sinful. All those "holy, holy, holy! is the LORD God ALLmighty!s" make me remember how different he is from me, how "His thoughts are not my thoughts, neither are his ways my ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are his ways higher than my ways and his thoughts my thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Ps. 31:14-15

"I trust in you, O Lord, I say "You are my God!" My times are in your hands."

1 comments:

Margie said...

He is faithful, steadfast and true. Praying, praying and praying for you all.