23 March 2009

Uncertainty to Joy pt 2

Today I wanted to talk about what hit me when I read The Legend of the Bluebonnet. It's about how it ended-- how She-Who-Is-Alone became "known by another name-- One-Who-Dearly-Loved-Her-People."

Sometimes I feel (or my mother tells me) like I've lost who I am... was... in the ten years of being married and almost eight of being a mother. When I feel like She-Who-Is-Alone against the tide of the world, or in my own marriage, the last thing I want to do is give up the pieces of me that are left from 'me before.' Yet the Bible clearly tells us, and we see in this children's book, that when we give up, when we sacrifice, we become One-Who-Dearly-Loved-Her-People. Do you see Christ in that title? Do you see God? "He so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:16-17

I remember the first sacrifice I gave God. It's so silly. Of course, I had given things up before, but this was one of the first times that GOD SPOKE to me, and I actually sacrificed what I wanted for him. Ok, here it is. As I leaned over to pick up two of James' dirty, balled-up, long, black Air Force socks I was absolutely consumed with anger at him. I remember thinking "Five inches! WHY can't he simply put them five inches to the left?! What is the big deal?! Is it soo hard to simply move them five inches to the left?! " (five inches to the left was the dirty clothes hamper) And right on top of that last exasperated, angry 'left?' was God's voice saying simply, 'if its so easy, why don't you move them five inches to the left?'

Gulp. And after that it was suddenly alot easier for me to just do many of the cleaning up after James that before had angered me. What was the big deal? Really, it was that I was a proud woman who, although I had the entire day to move some socks around, or hang up a jacket, or whatever, I thought I was too good to pick up after a man who worked a 12-hour shift. Why on earth was I staying home, if not to be his helper?

My point is, we should be mirroring Christ to a lost world. Christ sacrificed for us- to the point of death (Eph. 2:8). We are instructed to be a "living sacrifice"(Rom.12:1), which I take to mean this: Continue to live our lives, but sacrifice that which is not Christ-like. The things we shed for His sake are our living sacrifices.

Matthew Henry commentary on Romans 12:1,2 says this: "Let us render ourselves; all we are, all w have, all we can do... The progress of sanctification, dying to sin more and more, and living to righteousness more and more, is the carrying on this renewing work, till it is perfected in glory... The work of the Holy Ghost first begins in the understanding, and is carried onto the will, affectations, and conversation, till there is a change of the whole man into the likeness of God, in knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness. Thus, to be godly, is to give up ourselves to God."
Although The Legend of the Bluebonnet says the girl has loved her people, I am hoping to be known as She-Who-Loved-Her God.

0 comments: