22 March 2009

This Husband Never Fails

I struggle with embarrassment- It's hard to have dirty laundry in front of people, even those who love you. Then the feeling spreads to other things that are unrelated and suddenly it feels like shame. You know the old saying, "the cobbler's kids go un-shod, the doctor's kids are always sick?" Well the same is true for "the landscaper's yard goes unplanted." My neighbor lacks in the tact department and seems, to me (in my vulnerability), to use every passing on the driveway to point out some deficiency in my yard. He goes from this opening to commentary on my parenting or marriage. God brings conviction, but the devil brings shame. So I try to fight it whether its from the neighbor, the world, or the voices in my head. Read Isaiah 54:4-7 & 10 with me:

" 'Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame, Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of you widowhood. For your Maker is your husband-- the Lord Almighty is his name--the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth. The Lord will call you back as if you were a wife deserted and distressed in spirit-- a wife who married young, only to be rejected,' says your God. 'For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back. Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,' says the Lord, who has compassion on you."

This scripture seems, like so many, to be written just for me. Praise God for the continuing truth of his word!

0 comments: