17 March 2009

The One I Share a Life With


This is my husband, James. We got married at the ages of 19 and 20 one year after I graduated high school. We had known each other a little under three years. We had a beautiful wedding in Austin, Texas, and a fun adventure honeymoon in Costa Rica.

James grew up in a Christian household, and I grew up in a Catholic one. James' parents were hippies; my father spent 23 years in the Army National Guard and my mother worked in Post Office management for over 20 years. I have 2 younger siblings; James has one sister who was born when he was 13. James attended public schools here in Texas; I attended private school in Maryland until we moved to Texas. I am a Yankee with my extended family in Pennsylvania and NY/NJ; James is a 5th-generation Texan with family in Louisiana, Florida and Texas. (I had never eaten grits until AF basic training in San Antonio, TX, and then I put honey and raisens on top. "What weird Cream-of-Wheat" I thought.) Do you see any differences?

However, the Lord knew what he was doing(!) when he brought us together. James says it best when he explains it this way: "You met Christ through me and then took off, learning and applying what you found. I knew the basics and you hold me to the ground so I don't drift too far away."

0 comments: